read here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preemption_%28computing%29

Time slice

The period of time for which a process is allowed to run in a preemptive
multitasking system is generally called the *time slice*, or *quantum*. The
scheduler is run once every time slice to choose the next process to run. If
the time slice is too short then the scheduler will consume too much
processing time.

An interrupt <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt> is scheduled to allow
the operating system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system>
kernel<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28computer_science%29>to
switch between processes when their time slices expire, effectively
allowing the processor’s time to be shared between a number of tasks, giving
the illusion that it is dealing with these tasks simultaneously, or
concurrently. The operating system which controls such a design is called a
multi-tasking system.