A more theoretical answer to the question can be the following:

Let's try to construct a tree for all such possible sequences.
    Level 0  =>         0      or     1
    Level 1 =>       0    1              0
    Level 2 =>    0   1     0         0    1
    Level 3 =>  0  1   0  0  1     0  1    0

Simple observation will tell you that for every 0 in a position, the next
position can have either 0 or 1, but for a 1 in the position, the next bit *has
*to be a 0.  -- (1)

Let us call the function N0(p) to be the number of 0s at level (position) p
in the sequence; N1(p) to be the number of 1s at level p. The total number
of nodes at level p is then N(p) = N0(p) + N1(p).

It is also clear from statement (1) that
     N0(p) = N0(p-1) + N1(p-1)    --- (2)
 and
    N1(p) = N0(p-1)    -- (3)

i.e. the number of 0s in the next level equal to the number of 0s in the
previous level plus the number of 1s in the previous level,
whereas the number of 1s is equal to the number of 0s in the previous level.

Thus, combining (2) and (3), we have... N(p) = N0(p-1) + N1(p-1) + N0(p-1)
--- (4)

Now, N0(p-1) + N1(p-1) is really N(p-1) - i.e. the total number of possible
sequences of length p.

Also, N0(p-1) = N0(p-2)  + N1(p-2)  = N(p-2)  from (2)

Therefore, (4) reduces to
    N(p) = N(p-1) + N(p-2)

The above, you would recognize as the generative recursive form of the
sequence of fibonacci numbers.

thanks,
mayur