@coolfrog,

What I meant by remained is

Considering your case of A,B,C,D and B is the celebrity,

The sequence is

First A,B ask the question to A, then remained=B
Then B,C ask the question to B, then remained=B
Then B,D ask the question to B, then remained= B
Then ask A,C,D whether they know B
Then ask B whether they know A,C,D

So, that's how I said 3(n-1) questions...
Correct me if I am wrong