1.The soldiers are initially placed at row 2 or row 7th(each-one of white
and either of black).Also let white ones be at row 2.So they can never be at
row 1st.Incase it is so in the game,its not a valid game.
2.There are Bishops.Each color has one of its Bishop which moves diagonally
on all white squares,and the other on all black squares.Incase it is not
so,the game cannot be valid.
3.Now suppose,no black soldier ever moved.That is,all the black soldiers are
at row 7th.This means that the elephant(i am sorry,I generally mess up with
their names..:P) of any other player(except horse) cannot be in any row but
8th one.

I know only 3 test cases.Incase any one has more,please elaborate.
PS:Vrinda,I also got the same question..:P