For implementing a HashMap, I believe following things need to be
determined:

1. Good Hashing Function
2. Allocation of an array of pointers containing the structure of the key
and values to be stored. The size of array could be determined, based on the
number of key/value pairs to be stored, and how much memory is available or
how fast we want the HashMap to work.

Working:
1. Storage:
Any key/value pair need to be stored, the key would be passed to the hash
function to get the index of the array where the key/value pair need to be
stored. If already a key/value is stored there, then a chain would be
created.

2. Look-up:
Any key which need to be looked upon, the key would be passed to the hash
function to get the index of the array where the key/value pair is stored.
The chain stored at that index, would be then looked sequentially to find
out the value. If none of the node contains the key, then key is not present
in HashMap.

Thanks,
Vaibhav