The hashmap of Java is implemented using hash tables, we note that the
parameters that affect performance: initial capacity and load factor.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/HashMap.html
The associative array of C + + (map) is implemented using red-black tree (
balanced binary tree). The complexity of insertion and removal is
logarithmic.
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/map/
The hashmap will be included in next version of C + +
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_map_% 28C% 2B% 2B% 29

Wladimir Araujo Tavares
*Federal University of CearĂ¡

*