Yes compiler always ignores the first '\' and if it finds a recognizable
character after this escape sequence . it will interpret it. Otherwise it
just dumps it according to predefined semantics of machine code
generation.But I would suggest everyone in this group to try out
http://www.codepad.org
Where you can easily test the code in any language of your choice.
It must be using gcc compiler.
Thanks