@Icy: You left off the pairs (3,4), (2,4), (2,3), (1,4), (1,3), and
(1,2). These are different than the pairs you listed, because they are
ordered: the first element is from set A and the second element is
from set B. This was masked because of your choice of A = B. But you
wouldn't have made that mistake if you had chosen A = [1 2 3 4] and B
= [5 6 7 8].

There is no restriction in the original problem statement that the
numbers in each array are distinct. One application I have seen of
this problem is with the travel reservation web sites, where they will
show you some number of the cheapest round trip flight combinations.
In that case, there is more to the data items than just the price,
including at least airline and flight time. Several different flights
might have the same price, so arrays like A = [1 1 2 3 3 3 3] and B =
[1 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 4 4] (with duplicate prices) are possible. In that
case, the first 2 (cheapest) round trips will have score 2. Then
follows 7 round trips with score 3. Etc.

Dave