If the length of the linked is infinite then the above algo would do
the needful.
In case you have a finite length linked list, then you can normalize
the random value using following:
Suppose length of linked list is: l
random number is: r; and r > l
then new random number would be: r1 = r%l;
now again use the above algo using new random number r1;

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Vineeth <vineeth.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You said : "Given a linked list of infinite length"
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM, naveen shukla
> <naveenshuklasweetdrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But suppose a random number generate a value 5 and your linked list has only
>> four elements. In that case what would be the answer ???
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Prem Krishna Chettri <hprem...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well my algo will be Something like this
>>>
>>> 1> Get a Random number. Perhaps You can have the function like Randon(List
>>> *head, int Randomnumber)
>>>
>>> 2> Use the function argument Randomnumber to loop the list.
>>>             i.e. for(int count=0;count<=Randomnumber;count++ ){
>>>                            head = head -> next;
>>> }
>>>
>>> 3> print (head->value);
>>>
>>> 4> return ;
>>>
>>> Now as we are using byvalue when we return the value of head remains the
>>> same old head value. So everytime we call we are traversing the same old
>>> list.
>>>
>>>  The Random variable can be taken inside the function itself if the user
>>> is not taking the random value.
>>>  i.e. int Randomnumber = random();  and now the user can calll Simple
>>> Random(head);

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> With Best Wishes

>> Naveen Shukla
>> IIIT Allahabad
>> B.Tech IT 4th year
>> Mob No: 07860896972
>> E-mail naveenshuklasweetdrea...@gmail.com

Udit Agarwal
B.Tech. ( Information Technology ) , 7th Semester,
Indian Institute of Information Technology
Allahabad - 211012, India
Email : uditii...@gmail.com
Mobile: +91-9411656264