For simple reasons according to me:
1- It reduces overhead drastically,thus more efficient execution time is
achieved. Consider a recursive function call having array parameters ->
func (int a[100][100], int b[100][100]).. Now instead if we use pointers->
func(int **a, int **b), the overhead on the stack of the language decreases
drastically and thus further reducing the execution time of the code!!

2- It allows dynamic memory storage. If you do not know the amount of
memory needed, then using dynamic allocaton using pointer is the best way.
Consider we have an array -> arr[1000], but we actually need to use only
10,5, or even 2 sized array! This will lead to huge memory wastage..
instead we can do size_type *arr= new size_type[size]. thus this leads to
more space efficient code and avoid chances of memory overflow.

3- Access to an entity via pointer is faster!! :P
Hope this helps!