I've been playing about with the recorder since then and have made quite a few more recordings.

I really love the way the "Auto" mode works and it should be good enough for most situations people are likely to come across.

The recorder sets the level and if the level is quieter the recorder will adjust the level again however the recorder takes a quarter of a second or so before it starts adjusting and the range of level adjustment is huge! the recorder can adjust from an extremely low level input to extremely high where the quietest sounds are picked up.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, I was recording the radio when my mobile phone rang so I decided to call the party back at the other end of the house.

In the meantime I'd turned the radio off thus everything was quiet so the Olympus LS-P4 took full advantage of that whilst recording in "Auto" mode.

The recorder turned the level all the way up to max and I could be heard talking on the phone from the other end of the house.

Nothing startling perhaps but just an observation.