>Using callbacks is a bit unuseable in the unix systems, because it doesn't
>allow multiprocess communication. Using RPC has same cost like poll,
>so I don't see any benefit here.

also, just to be clear: sure, there's still poll(2) involved. the
point is not that its cheap (this is what Abramo and I disagreed about
originally, and he turned out to be right - its cheap *enough* for
many things), but that it encourages/enforces program design
that allows desirable things to be done.

i spent some time last week porting a nice little app called RythmnLab
to use JACK. it used the same kind of design that so many linux audio
apps do - blocking reads and/or writes on the audio device. this
approach just can't be used for low latency sample sync'ed
performance. its precisely this goal that is so important to the
Windows/MacOS proprietary s/w developers these days, and it should be
for us as well, IMHO.

--p