>So the assumption here is that there is only one drain/output device, and
>all sources are kept in sync with the single drain device.
>Your solution would fail if there was more than one drain/output device.
>I.E. Two audio cards.

just to clarify my last answer. yes, JACK does assume that there is
only 1 sync source. it does *not* assume that there is only one i/o
device (in fact, the JACK server doesn't even know anything about i/o
devices).

in this sense, its identical to word clock on a h/w level - everybody
has to use the same clock, but there can be any number of people using
it. if you're not using the same clock, you've got problems, as anyone
with experience with multiple digital audio devices will be happy to
tell you.

--p