Takashi Iwai wrote:

>Hmm, did I ever write such a statement?
>Please check my reply to your last post with the register dump.
>Your info was really appreciated.

My fault for taking objection. Excuses.

>My RTFM post was not directed to you.
>I've seen many bug reports (strangely suddenly at the same time) and I
>still don't figure out where the problem lies.  On my card it works
>quite well.

I can imagine. And the cards seem different in nasty ways. Maybe I can
make a register dump in Windows?

>So I wrote this message to make sure people to point out the bug of
>the driver, not unexpected usage.
>The latter can be of course a bug but it will be easily fixed.
>The difficult thing is, to fix the h/w dependent bug without having
>its physical existence..  Thus the register dump is the only help.

I agree. And im willing to run a series of tests too - maybe some pathes
or a list of values for something. Please make sure that I would test
the same way you would. And if anything is important - library version
or whatnot - mention it. Same with procedures: reboot in between tests,
or even power cycle? Or just unload/modprobe?

>>Things still do not work. The option for spdif output that is most
>>logical for me, I'm told not to use: DAC to SPDIF. Why not? Is it
>>broken? Untested? Anyway the other option doesn't work here either.
>>

>No, this switch is usually NOT necessary.  This will contaminate the
>raw data, for AC3 it's fatal.  Thus, this switch is bad for tracing
>the bug.  Otherwise it's ok, all up to you.

I understand now.

>The SPDF_0 and SPDF_1 bits are set automatically when accessed via
>hw:0,2.  From my understanding, SPDF_0/1 and ENSPDOUT bits are enough
>for spdif output.  DAC2SPDO bit is an extra switch to enable the
>analog mixture (at least on model 33 and 37).
>Perhaps on model 55 SPDO2DAC might be necessary.  This correspond(ed)
>to "IEC958 Out To DAC" which I requested you to test, _not_ "IEC958
>DAC To Out".  I think you didn't test it.

I think I tried most combinations - tests are really quick. But probably
not with the aplay command through the spdif device (the one giving
timeouts) but with oss playing.

>(I know the naming are confusing.  So on the latest cvs version this
>switch disappears.  It's toggled together with SPDF_0/1 switch.)

Excellent.

>BTW, in ALSA driver the channel 0 is used for playback while OSS
>driver uses channel 1.  This is because the captuer on SPDIF is
>possible only on channel 1.  I think SPDIF capture doesn't work on OSS
>driver.

Haven't found a way to use it either :(

>_I_ also got no information except for the source code of kernel OSS
>driver and some trial-and-error.  You are not alone :)

Life could be so much easier I guess.

>Anyway, could you try the latest CVS version?  I hope now it's fixed.
>And if it still doesn't work, the register dump is appreciated.

OK, I'll try it in all logical and illogical combinations I can imagine.
May not be this evening, but tomorrow or something. Would it make sense
to try other mixer settings when aplay on the spdif device gives errors?

Cheers,

Thomas