> However, I still feel that my original gripe (the error message
> output) is valid.  In all other cases that I'm aware of, you never
> automatically spit out an error message to stderr or stdout.  Why
> should it be different in this case?  There is an error retrieval
> mechanism in place, namely snd_strerror().

I agree, I don't think that the library should be printing
anything at all (except for temporary debugging assert's or
things like that, I guess - maybe this is just debugging code
that will go away soon). The library should interact with the
user through the error messages it returns from the api calls.

-- Fernando