> > However, I still feel that my original gripe (the error message
> > output) is valid.  In all other cases that I'm aware of, you never
> > automatically spit out an error message to stderr or stdout.  Why
> > should it be different in this case?  There is an error retrieval
> > mechanism in place, namely snd_strerror().
>
> Have you realized, that we have snd_lib_error_set_handler() function? If
> you create an empty callback, you'll get no error messages. I think that
> the default behaviour is good for command-line tools.

Ok, so there is a workaround....

However I still think this is wrong (sorry for the
insistence). The default behavior might be good for a command
line tool, but not all tools that use the library are command
line tools. AFAIK the default behavior of libraries is to not
go around printing things on stdout/stderr by default. If some
command line tool wants to have verbose error reporting on, it
should turn it on (not the opposite!).

-- Fernando