Hi there,

After some discussion on the ALSA-devel list, it appears that you may be
the only one who knows anything about the mythical 'smix' plugin that
might allow myself and others to get more functionality out of
soundcards that do not support multi-open capability in hardware.

I was wondering if you could let me know what the status of this plugin
is, and if it might be possible to get it put into the official ALSA
tree so that some progress might be made on it, or that at least some
documentation more than 'unknown reference' might be added to the ALSA
docs, which would at least reduce the confusion over the availability of
this capability.

I understand you are busy, so please consider this as a polite request
for you toadd the smix plugin to ALSA, as it would make my life much
easier when trying to run multiple software synths on linux via my
cm8738 card, and also provide a 'definite' piece of code to work on for
others who may be interested in this capability.

As it stands, every time anyone asks about 'software multi-open' they
are directed either to the 'share' plugin which clearly does not work in
this capacity, or told that you have once got the smix plugin to work,
and that it is all anyone knows.

This has the effect of discouraging an alternate implementation, and it
would seem silly to rewrite something that has already been written.

I would be immensely grateful if you would  take pity on us poor
confused ALSA-using musicians, and release your smix plugin code  into
the ALSA tree.

Thanks for your time, and the great work on ALSA-libs.

Thanks

-Pete