Hi folks!
I am Olivier, the owner of this laptop.
If there's is anything I can do to get my sound card supported by alsa, I'd be glad to help! So if you need me form some testing, just mail me! (I've also subscribed the list)

I'm in deep shit if I don't manage to get the sound working on my laptop...

Olivier

Thierry Vignaud wrote:
regarding ali5451 problems that show up on kml, i just had access to
oliver's laptop which has the infamous ali5451.

both oss' trident and alsa's snd-ali5451 cannot
# modprobe snd-ali5451
PCI: Found IRQ 4 for device 00:08:0
URQ routing conflict for 00:08:0, have irq 5, want irq 4

then kernel cries:
hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
hda: DMA disabled
hda: drive not ready for command.

disks cannot anymore be accessed. the system is still fine (no oops,
no freeze).
the vfs & ext3 then ended in I/O error since the disks answered
themselves busy to the eide controller.

the bugs ali5451 chips suffer may be related to :

- either the poor ressources allocation on laptios, which is poorer &
poorer since acpi "invade" laptops

- or driver misconception regarding irq sharing

the cars is "M5451 PCI South Bridge Audio" manufactured by Acer
Laboratories Inc. [ALi] (with pci ids : 0x10b9 0x5451)

irq 5 has been allocated to ali snd card, pcmcia cardbus controller
(managed by yenta_socket).

olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is the owner of that fscking
chip.

this is a compaq laptop.

i have access to another compaq laptop that works well with oss
trident. this is a compaq laptop too.

kernel is 2.4.18 based and alsa was tested with 0.9.0rc3 & rc5

--

 -= *Olivier RICORDEAU* =-   |  ICQ: 65452304
 Ing1 EPITA Millesime 2005   | Phone: 0686720852