At Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:13:07 +0100,
Anders Torger wrote:

> As mentioned before, this driver does not yet handle the cases when
> sample rate and other properties is changed in runtime (I don't know if
> ALSA is complete in that respect either).

as far as i've tested before (vari-speed playback on emu10k1 with a
mixer control :), changing runtime->rate wouldn't break
the middle-level layer if the low-level routines recognizes and
handles the change of rates properly.

but it's true that there is no offical way to change such a property
at runtime except for the sequence: stop, reset hw_params, and start.