Thanks, Takashi! I'll get back to these Friday night, as I'm way too busy before that. There are some things included below:

Takashi Iwai wrote:
at first, please check which chip model you are using and get the
register dump from /proc/asound/card0/cmipci.
I thought I sent the chip model to the mailing list, but that was actually one of the off-list messages. The model seems to be "C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55)", as the dump of /proc/asound/card0/cmipci here tells:

C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xd800, irq 10

00: 00 00 00 00
04: 04 00 00 00
08: 00 00 09 00
0c: 00 00 00 0a
10: 80 00 00 00
14: 00 00 00 00
18: 00 00 89 00
1c: ff ff ff ff
20: 10 40 80 00
24: 00 31 ff 00
28: ff ff ff ff
2c: ff ff ff ff
30: 00 00 00 00
34: 00 00 00 00
38: 00 00 00 00
3c: 00 00 00 00

I've gathered the key information here:

- The sound when playing back is totally garbled, the pitch is lower
 than the original, and I get lots of clicking alongside. If I'm not
 using jack but alsa output, everything (playing and recording) is ok.

- I have the lowlat patch installed in kernel, but using or not using it
 doesn't seem to change anything.
most likely the kernel scheduler is irrelevant.
The only effect it had was locking the whole machine when using playback/capture only.

- Using jackd with playback/capture only, it produces the following
 message:
  jackd: pcm.c:5851: snd_pcm_mmap_commit: Assertion 'pcm' failed
that's weird.
Yes, and as you most probably know, it refers to alsa-lib/src/pcm/pcm.c

Oh, btw, I'm using alsa 0.9.0rc6, and as root (which you obviously already gathered from me using lowlatency patches).

Kernel 2.4.19 with AMD Athlon.

- If using kernel real-time patches with playback/capture only, the
 system locks up. This doesn't happen with both capture and playback
 enabled.
i can't produce this on my machine...
Here it does the same thing every time.

anyway, i updated the driver a bit.
please update the cvs version and report whether it works or not.
I'll do this on Friday, as I told. I'll let you (and the list) know immediately.

Thanks again for your help!

-Antti