At Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:00:32 +0200,
Antti Boman wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >>The only effect it had was locking the whole machine when using
> >>playback/capture only.
> >
> > do you mean with LL-patch?  or with preempt patch?
>
> Andrew Morton's
> (http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html#downloads) patch. Sorry
> about the flaws in terminology, I'm kind of half-dumb with these. If
> there are even difference with those ones, I have to check them out
> tonight and tell you then.

basically LL-patch is safer...
anyway i recommed to use without LL-patch (or disabled via sysctl) as
the first tests.  otherwise we don't know which is the culprit.
as long as no heavy disk access, the normal scheduler should work
fine.

> >>Yes, and as you most probably know, it refers to alsa-lib/src/pcm/pcm.c
> >
> > if the above function is directly called from jack, then it should be
> > a bug of jack.  the error above says the passed argument is a null
> > pointer.
>
> I know. But I don't know if it's directly called from jackd. I'll try
> and ask more on jackit-devel or try to find things myself. May be
> another dead-end, though.

you can run non-stripped jackd in the source tree before installation,
and run from gdb to trace at which point this happens.

> > ah, sorry, what do you mean "kernel real-time patches"?
> > preempt-patch?
> >
> > then i don't know.  i don't use them together with 2.4 kernels.
>
> Then again, even without enabling low latency (whatsoever) it doesn't
> work. I'm just afraid this won't be solved. And I'm not afraid for
> myself, just for the fact that 8738 is a highly used chip. Have you
> tried running jackd with the one of yours?

yes.  no hang up with -R and/or -P options, so far.

        # jackd -v -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 512 -n 2

        # jackd -v -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 512 -n 2 -P