On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:16:18 -0400,
> Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > >It is something similar like "HTML" and "Java script". The first one is
> > >good to describe the static part of web pages, but if you want something
> > >dynamic, you have to use another embeded language.
> >
> > or use a real language for the whole thing. this is not the web. there
> > is no reason to use a few lines of static container code (e.g. HTML)
> > to wrap a real programming language (e.g. Java).
>
> i agree with Paul.
> of course, it's a pain that all configuration syntax is changed.
> but for me, it looks far more consistent to describe the whole thing
> with the same syntax.
>
> well, you might consider the compatibility issue.  yes, that's another
> big thing to discuss...

I will try to evaluate the lisp possibilities in this area. I also think
that the old and new configuration might co-exist for awhile. Especially,
the new extensions (like mixer configuration) might use the new
configuration syntax.

> i believe, if we change the configuration syntax, it would be better
> to branch the development tree (or jump the version number).
> the current system works well already in many fields, so it's nice to
> keep the stable series.

We can do it when we need to break the compatibility behaviour.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs