On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:49:51 +0100
Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> anyway, it's just a concern.  the answer for this question would be
> just a questionary to users (and a good documentation or user-friendly
> GUI tool to configure).

As a user that has owned a cheapo soundcard before my current one i can
only say: I would have loved nothing more than hassle free software
mixing done automagically by alsa..

Sadly this doesn't solve all sound problems since many apps seem to have
still problems with dmix and it will take some time until app writers
adjust. But from my point of view this would be the right thing [tm].
Maybe it would also be possible to set dmix's parameters to more
"compatible" settings.. Maybe it even is with .asoundrc-magic..

I also don't know how good OSS emu can be used in conjunction with dmix.

Florian Schmidt