>> 5) I think that this sound mixing problem might be better served by
>> sound servers like jack.
>
>Hmmm,
>
>actualy I did have a very close look at jack, but the problem that I saw=20
>(correct me if Im wrong here), is the fact that jack only works well if the=
>=20
>applications are specificaly geard to work with it. To quote the FAQ:

this isn't an issue any more, in that ALSA supports output via JACK
itself. apps don't behave the way real JACK clients would, but the
sound is heard. i don't know if capture support works.

jack is not intended to be a general purpose solution though. although
i believe that its callback API is a better choice, things like
PortAudio offer that with or without JACK. jack's main offering is low
latency, sample synchronous execution. i guess if it really worked for
everybody, it would be great. chances are that it might be slightly
closer to working than dmix, but i don't really know (especially the
capture part). making connections is also difficult - it puts quite a
burden on the user.

--p