At Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:31:39 +0200 (EET),
Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > Especially, if you have a card or a mobo with ICH (or compatible)
> > chip and *multiple* AC97 codecs, testing this version is appreciated.
>
> Some of my apps have stopped working after 1.0.0pre1 on a T23 Thinkpad
> (intel8x0, 82801).
>
> Simple things like "arecord -f cd - |aplay -f cd -" work, but apps which
> relay on select/poll before doing any i/o do not work. I didn't have
> time to test, but I suspect jackd would not have worked. :)
>
> On the same machine, alsa-driver-0.9.8 works fine, but not with 1.0.0pre1
> and 1.0.0pre3.

1.0.0pre1 is broken for intel8x0, so use pre3 only :)

what do you mean exactly "don't work" in the above?
the operation is blocked, or returns an error?
if it's blocked, check /proc/asound/card0/pcm0*/sub0/* files.

does this laptop have multiple codecs?  you can find them in
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#* directories.

thanks,