I have forwarded this to alsa-devel as there is probably more luck finding the answer here and it would be a valuable thread to have as a resource.

R Parker wrote:
Hi,

I can't help you much, however, unless JACK has
recently been worked on I think there's a 32 track
limitation. It's known to be technically trivial.
Otherwise I don't believe alsa would be a problem,
assuming you've got wordclock i/o on the hammerfall
cards.

Midi Time Code syncronization in Ardour could also be
problematic, it doesn't work with my Tascam DM-24.
Even though transport location is accurate, the
automation system can't interpret Ardour mtc. Paul has
announced his intention to implement SMPTE but I'm not
sure if that's been done yet.

I wonder what the status of 96kHz adat is with the
hammerfall drivers.

Anyway, that's not much help. Sorry.

ron

--- Ronald van Engelen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

After rereading my message, I saw too many
unclarities and typos, so
I'll try again.

The problem is that we have to transfer a few hours
of 72-channel music
from three synced Mackie SDR24/96's to a harddisk. I
don't really know what format the music is recorded in.

As my colleague is unable to use three RME
Hammerfall DSP card's in his
dual G4 powermac with OSX (don't know exact
version), I wondered if I
could use Linux to capture the music to harddisk.

If anybody has any experience, please let me know.
Otherwise we will
proceed with one card and thus 24 channels at a
time, which does work.

Thanks,
Ronald van Engelen