You're actually going to want 6 RME9652's if you want 72 channels at 96.
In jackd/engine.c, change engine->port_max to 512.  I think you won't need
all of those, I think you'll need 304.

You can slave them together using pcm_multi as long as they're all linked
with a master clock, alsa won't do it for you.  Look for pcm.rme9652_96 in
the archives, and if it's not there, I'll send it again.  Be sure to use
recent alsa, because syncing multiple cards kicked off a code change that
prevented lockups.  I'd be interested to know how low you could set your
latency before jack kicks something out.

_J