holborn wrote:
> 'snd_seq_port_info_get_client' returns always the same value?

Clients 0..63 are ALSA system clients, with fixed numbers (0=system
broadcast/timer, 62=dummy, 63=OSS emulation).

Clients 64..127 are devices on sound cards.  There are 8 numbers per
card: 64..71 = card 0, 72..79 = card 1, etc.

Clients 128..191 are applications.  An application gets the next free
number.

> for hardware or software devices even if are not started in the
> same order? or if the number of devices is different?

Hardware devices retain their number as long as the card number stays
the same.

Software devices can have a more or less random number; you have to
identify them by name, or let the user select it.

> I don't checkit ... but if it's not the same number, maybe could
> be a good thing add some extra info in
> 'snd_seq_client_info_get_name', card number?

The name of rawmidi sequencer ports already contains the card number.

> because if you have two same cards, client_info is the same for
> both,

PCI cards are initialized in some fixed order.

> and port can be different each time you restart, if Plug&Play USB
> cards works (I don't know ... ),

Two _identical_ USB devices cannot be distinguished by the current
driver, but it's possible if they have different product IDs.

HTH
Clemens