At Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:14:22 +0100,
Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

> >>The problem I see and I dislike with this is that iec bits are
> >>associated with playback. This is probably fine with most devices, but
> >>not with hardware that can do hardware routing, where you may want to
> >>route signal through the S/PDIF out with a certain bit combination - no
> >>playback is involved here. I believe a generic iec bits handling
> >>interface is a good thing, but is should not be affected by the card's
> >>status. Any comment on this Takashi ?
> >

> > well, in that case, the put callback of "IEC958 Playback Default"
> > should change the corresponding register value immediately, too.
> >

> Ok, but it seems this can't be done with iecset,

hmm?  iecset will read/change "IEC958 Playback Default" (searching
both MIXER and PCM interfaces).
it doesn't change "IEC958 Playback PCM Stream", though.

>  so I'm back with my
> question concerning amixer : all the 'value' fields of IEC ctls show a
> question mark. Is this a problem with the driver ? If not what would be
> the syntax to access those ctls ?

amixer doesn't handle IEC958 status properly.

> >>Not to mention that there is also a shift in the S/PDIF channels
> >>position when the card changes speed mode...
> >>Can the current configuration mechanism handle this properly ?
> >

> > when the channel position changes dynamically according to the certain
> > state, it'd be difficult with the current config without addition...
> >

> In case you plan to implement those additions, let me know if there is
> anything to adapt on the driver side.

sure.

anyway, we'll need to discuss the best way for this problem.
i'd like to avoid addition as much as possible.