Hi,

I am writing Alsa driver on 2.6 kernel for arm platform.
I want to test my driver with application.

I took one sample application & tried to map the functions.

******************* sample application *********************************
This program opens an audio interface for playback, configures it for
stereo, 16 bit, 44.1kHz, interleaved conventional read/write access. Then
its delivers a chunk of random data to it, and exits. It represents about
the simplest possible use of the ALSA Audio API, and isn't meant to be a
real program.
        #include <stdio.h>
        #include <stdlib.h>
        #include <alsa/asoundlib.h>

        main (int argc, char *argv[])
        {
                int i;
                int err;
                short buf[128];
                snd_pcm_t *playback_handle;
                snd_pcm_hw_params_t *hw_params;

                if ((err = snd_pcm_open (&playback_handle, argv[1],
SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, 0)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot open audio device %s (%s)\n",
                                 argv[1],
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_malloc (&hw_params)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot allocate hardware parameter structure
(%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_any (playback_handle, hw_params)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot initialize hardware parameter
structure (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access (playback_handle, hw_params,
SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot set access type (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format (playback_handle, hw_params,
SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot set sample format (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near (playback_handle, hw_params,
44100, 0)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot set sample rate (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels (playback_handle, hw_params,
2))
< 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot set channel count (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params (playback_handle, hw_params)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot set parameters (%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                snd_pcm_hw_params_free (hw_params);

                if ((err = snd_pcm_prepare (playback_handle)) < 0) {
                        fprintf (stderr, "cannot prepare audio interface for use
(%s)\n",
                                 snd_strerror (err));
                        exit (1);
                }

                for (i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {
                        if ((err = snd_pcm_writei (playback_handle, buf, 128)) != 128)
{
                                fprintf (stderr, "write to audio interface failed
(%s)\n",
                                         snd_strerror (err));
                                exit (1);
                        }
                }

                snd_pcm_close (playback_handle);
                exit (0);
        }

**************************************END***********************************
**************************************

I tried to trace back the application how i can map my driver routines with
the calls in application.
While tracing I couln't find the definition of of few functions like
        snd_pcm_sw_params_set_start_threshold()
        snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near()
        snd_pcm_hw_params()
        snd_pcm_hw_params_free()

For few I could only find the prototypes.

My doubts are,
 where can I find the definitions for these functions or Alsa APIs ?
 Do i need to have any lib (alsa_lib) ?
 If not how my driver can be accessed from application layer, I mean how
calls are mapped ?

Can anybody please help me in this regard.

Thanks
Pavana S