Hi all,

        I would like to point all developers to the OSS API redirector
which is in our alsa-oss package. It's universal piece of code which can
redirect all OSS API calls (actually mixer & PCM API only) to any shared
library.

Pros:
- no more LD_PRELOAD hacks
- any library can be used directly as endpoint
- when used more applications will work (also some which does not work
  with LD_PRELOAD hack)

Drawbacks:
- still no fopen/fclose/fwrite/fread solution
- applications must be a little bit modified

Todo:
- OSS sequencer API redirector (it shouldn't be too difficult)

        My original point is that we might persuade the binary only
providers (mostly games vendors) to use this small piece of code, because
there are no impacts regarding the application useability and the
maintaince overhead of this code is minimal.
        The second goal is to use this redirector for all OSS applications
in Linux distributions to make the routing over ALSA library more easy.

Usage of this redirector for OSS API emulation in ALSA:

export OSS_REDIRECTOR=libalsatoss.so

And define appropriate pcm.dsp0 and pcm.mixer0 in ~/.asoundrc.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs