One other thing...

There were some reports a while ago of people with many channeled cards
whose sound level would be divided by the number of channels they had
until they fixed a certain configuration. (asoundrc ?)

I know that's a really sketchy description and I'm not sure it would
even apply to your case. Hopefully someone else here can help you out.

-ERic Rz.