On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Len Moskowitz wrote:

>> Try ecasound, www.eca.cx/ecasound. If it doesn't work for some reason, put
>> a sample 24bit file somewhere on the web (or mail me if it's small), and
>> I'll promise to make ecasound play it. ;)
> Here's a link to a short (only a few seconds, but still >3 Meg) 24-bit/96
> KHz WAV file.  Might you try it with ecasound?
[...]
> http://www.core-sound.com/96_24bit_excerpt.wav

Ok, that was in packed format (instead of unpacked, 24-in-32bits). I
updated ecasound code and now it's able to play the file just fine
(ecasound CVS version):

ecasound -i 96_24bit_excerpt.wav -f:s24_le,2,96000 -o alsa,hw:0

Let me know if some other files cause trouble.

Btw; snd (the file editor) has very good support for these
     higher quality formats. Check:
     http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/snd/snd.html

--
 http://www.eca.cx