I recompiled alsa with debug=detect and got the following error in
/var/log/messages:

ALSA pcm_lib.c:2161: capture read error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)

My sound card is using IRQ 5. No other device is on that IRQ, so I'm
baffled, but I'm sure that somebody has seen something like this before.

Thanks,

Bill