Thanks. That didn't move me any further ahead.

I still get the "device /dev/dsp can't be opened" error message - even
when I install the dummy card.

Should the install be error-free with a dummy card install? or is my
problem not in card identification. It appears that the audio chip set
is VIA 3058 using AC97

John Batistic