On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 21:01, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At 28 Mar 2002 09:51:45 +1200,
> John Batistic wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 02:19, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >  > > >

> >  >

> > > sorry, that was a bug in alsaconf.
> > > call alsaconf with -m option.
> > >

> > > Takashi
> > >
> > Yes, that worked - insofar as alsaconf -m told me that no supported PCI
> > or PnP card found (and hung the system on legacy scan)
> >
> > Windows and lspci both tell me that my sound card is VIA AC97.
>
> i suspect that you didn't install the driver correctly, too.
> please check whether /usr/lib/modules/2.x.x/modules.pcimap includes
> the entries with "snd-*" (where 2.x.x is the kernel version number you
> are using).
>
> if you find it, then it might be you having unknown pci.
> please post the output of "lspci -xvv" and "lspci -nvv".
>

> Takashi

I have /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.pcimap (without /usr/) which is
empty.

I have installed and re-installed alsa-driver-0.9.beta12
with ./configure, make install  & ./snddevices,
several times without error messages.

How do I complete the install process?
Is it perhaps to do with the different (Debian?) path?

John...