On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So my questions are:
>
> * Is the high CPU load a XINE problem?

yes try mplayer, http://mplayer.dev.hu, its quite better than xine, i
think. consumes less cpu-power, and faster.

> * Did I define the alsa PCM device(s) correctly?

yes, but you should define a controldevice for your soundcard too, like:

ctl.hammerfall {
        type hw
        card 1
}

> * Can I use a52dec to solve my problem? How do I have to use it?
> * Is there another possibility to extract six descrete audio channels from a
> mpeg2 file (from DVD) and save them to disk?
> Any ideas?

i think the filewriter plug of alsa-lib is experimental and buggy. i had
no success writing simple 2 channel files. im not sure but i think
mplayer has a filewriter plugin too, maybe you can use that, for sound
output.

____
joy