>Ok,
>
>I have a dvd-rom drive that i have connected the digital out (2-pin) to
>the cd-in connection on the RME9636. I am sure that the hardware is
>corrected properly.
>
>However I get no sound when playing cds in XMMS or DVDs in Xine. Paul
>Davis thought that you could to connect this to a cd-rom drive output,
>but i have called a few vendors and the believe this is not the case.

thats not what i said. what i said was (to repeat and/or paraphrase):

      There is NO, repeat NO, CD connector on an RME Hammerfall
      interface.

      If the CD-ROM/DVD/CD-RW drive has S/PDIF output, you can connect
      that to the S/PDIF input of the Hammerfall, though the cable
      routing may be tricky.

      This is a regular connector on the backplane of the Hammerfall.
      It has nothing to do with the internal connector that looks
      like a 2 pin CD connector but is actually for internal sync
      connections between multiple Hammerfalls.

CD connectors are the type of thing found on consumer audio
interfaces. The Hammerfall is not an example of this type of device.

--p