I am trying to install the latest alsa drivers on my
system.

My sytem details: os - RedHat 7.1   processor - AMD
500 MHz   sound card - ALS4000

When I tried to run ./configure in the alsa-drivers
directory, following error message came:

-----------------
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached)
/usr/bin/install -c
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc
-E
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for linux/fs.h... (cached) yes
checking for working const... (cached) yes
checking for inline... (cached) inline
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be
included... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... (cached) no
checking for directory with kernel source...
/usr/src/linux
checking for kernel version... failed (probably
missing /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h)
expr: syntax error
------------------------

I changed the value of   kerneldir variable in
configure file  from "/usr/src/linux" to "/usr". After
this
configure ran without any error messages.

When I execute the make command, following error
messages are coming:

---------------------------
[root@localhost alsa-driver-0.5.12a]# make
make[1]: Entering directory
`/tmp/temp/alsa-driver-0.5.12a/kernel'
gcc   -DALSA_BUILD -D__KERNEL__ -O2
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -DLINUX
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
-I/usr/include -I.. -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c sound.c
In file included from ../include/driver.h:66,
                 from sound.c:23:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules
should never use kernel-headers
system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but
headers from an appropriate kernel-source
make[1]: *** [sound.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/temp/alsa-driver-0.5.12a/kernel'
make: *** [compile] Error 1
[root@localhost alsa-driver-0.5.12a]#

Can any one please help me in solving the above
problem.

In mini-howTo it is said that all sound moudles
including sound.o should be disabled. How to do that?
It is also told that if the kernel is compiled with
the sound card, then kernel should be recompiled. How
know whether the kernel is compiled with the sound card?