On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 02:40, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I have Slack 8.0 running kernel 2.4.5 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop model 3005-S307.
>
> Someone on the net sucessfully loaded the ALSA drivers and got sound working but he
>has RedHat 7.0.
> It doesn't work for me.
>
> I included his lines in rc.modules which were:
> #ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
>
> #OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>

> I think the problem has to do with the BSD init scripts used by Slackware
> since the ALSA drivers seem to be built around Sys V.

Let me asure you--you can run ALSA w/ Slackware--I've been doing so for
years.

> The gory details are below - don't bother to read unless you are interested...
>
> As mentioned on the alsa site I enabled sound support with soundcore in rc.modules.
>
> I downloaded and untarred the following from the ALSA site:
> alsa-driver-0.5.12a.tar.tgz
> alsa-lib-0.5.10b.tar.tgz
> alsa-utils-0.5.10.tar.tgz
>
> In the alsa-driver directory I did
> ./configure
> make install
> without incident.  It appears to complete ok.
> I see that references appear to /usr/src/linux but the .config file is not changed.
> Maybe some of the scripts change?
>
> In the other two, alsa-lib and alsa-utils,
> ./configure
> aborts on the lines:
>
> checking for libasound headers version >= 0.5.8... not present.
> configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not found.
>
> I looked for libasound drivers on the net and only found some foreign language
>sites.  Nothing that looked like source.

alsa-libs *is* the source for libasound.

Perhaps you have older version of the library on your system?

> I suspect that alsa isn't working because they expect Sys V init scripts instead of
>BSD.

No--the scripts aren't the problem. To do it Slack-style, I created /etc/rc.d/rc.asound
which I call from /etc/rc.d/rc.local (it just contains an echo "Unmuting audio
channels"
and a series of amixer commands.

> Even when I get the alsa drivers working I may not get sound unless I can get past
>the line in modules.conf that loads smixer which says on boot-up:
> smixer: open /dev/mixer:  No such device.
> In fact ls -l  /dev/mixer
> gives:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1  root root 11 Apr 11 18:55 /dev/mixer -> /dev/mixer0
> which was apparently created by the make install above and
> crw-rw-rw-  1   root root 14, 0  Apr 11 18:55 /dev/mixer0.
> Before the make install I had a simple /dev/mixer but that also always gave the "no
>such device" message.
>
> I changed permissions chmod a+rw /dev/dsp*, /dev/mixer*, /dev/audio*

According to the mini-FAQ, this error is also caused by multiple copies
of libasound...

However, the last piece is that you're using a laptop. Does it have
ACPI?

I recently (5-Apr) posted a kernel patch to the ACPI code which fixes
*both* ACPI and AC97 audio for the chipsets that have this problem.

> I hope someone can give me a  hint on how to get this going on Slack
> as I like that distro very much.

Make sure you've removed all of your old ALSA modules and libraries.

Personally, I'd also recommed getting the 0.9 beta ALSA packages and
upgrading your kernel as well (but upgrading your kernel is *not* a
prerequisite for getting ALSA to work.)

HTH

Barthel
--
      [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://geocities.com/ld_barthel

Wakko of Borg: Heeeeeeellllllllo Collective!