Thanks for your help.  I have made progress.  Remarks in line.

On 12 Apr 2002 03:45:36 -0500, Barthel aus Pennswald wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 02:40, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> I have Slack 8.0 running kernel 2.4.5 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop model 3005-S307.
>>
>> Someone on the net sucessfully loaded the ALSA drivers and got sound working but he
>has RedHat 7.0.
>> It doesn't work for me.
>>
>> I included his lines in rc.modules which were:
>> #ALSA portion
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
>>
>> #OSS/Free portion
>> alias char-major-14 soundcore
>> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>>

>> I think the problem has to do with the BSD init scripts used by Slackware
>> since the ALSA drivers seem to be built around Sys V.
>
>Let me asure you--you can run ALSA w/ Slackware--I've been doing so for
>years.
>

>> The gory details are below - don't bother to read unless you are interested...
>>
>> As mentioned on the alsa site I enabled sound support with soundcore in rc.modules.
>>
>> I downloaded and untarred the following from the ALSA site:
>> alsa-driver-0.5.12a.tar.tgz
>> alsa-lib-0.5.10b.tar.tgz
>> alsa-utils-0.5.10.tar.tgz
>>
>> In the alsa-driver directory I did
>> ./configure
>> make install
>> without incident.  It appears to complete ok.
>> I see that references appear to /usr/src/linux but the .config file is not changed.
>> Maybe some of the scripts change?
>>
>> In the other two, alsa-lib and alsa-utils,
>> ./configure
>> aborts on the lines:
>>
>> checking for libasound headers version >= 0.5.8... not present.
>> configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not found.
>>
>> I looked for libasound drivers on the net and only found some foreign language
>sites.  Nothing that looked like source.
>
>alsa-libs *is* the source for libasound.

Oh.  Thank you.

>Perhaps you have older version of the library on your system?
>
>> I suspect that alsa isn't working because they expect Sys V init scripts instead of
>BSD.
>
>No--the scripts aren't the problem. To do it Slack-style, I created
>/etc/rc.d/rc.asound
>which I call from /etc/rc.d/rc.local (it just contains an echo "Unmuting audio
>channels"
>and a series of amixer commands.

The .configures and makes seemed to be much better behaved
when I untarred the files in /usr/src instead of my home directory.

Now I compiled without error with the sequence:
   ./configure, make, make install in /usr/src/alsa-driver-0.5.12a,
   alsa-lib-0.5.10b, alsa-utils-0.5.10.

I now have the following new files dated today:
/usr/bin/alsamixer
usr/man/man1/alsact1.1
/usr/man/man1/alsamixer.1
/usr/sbin/alsactl
/usr/share/aclocal/alsa.m4

Having gotten this far, I still have no sound in KDE or anywhere else.

When I issue alsamixer as root I get
alsamixer: failed to open mixer #0/#0: No such file or directory.
When I issue " alsactl store"  I get
alsactl: No soundcards found.

There is no
/etc/asound.conf

Perhaps the lines below in rc.modules are not correct.
They came from a Red Hat user but I'm not familiar enough with the syntax
to examine or change.

Clearly I'm much closer but not there yet.

>> Even when I get the alsa drivers working I may not get sound unless I can get past
>the line in modules.conf that loads smixer which says on boot-up:
>> smixer: open /dev/mixer:  No such device.
>> In fact ls -l  /dev/mixer
>> gives:
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1  root root 11 Apr 11 18:55 /dev/mixer -> /dev/mixer0
>> which was apparently created by the make install above and
>> crw-rw-rw-  1   root root 14, 0  Apr 11 18:55 /dev/mixer0.
>> Before the make install I had a simple /dev/mixer but that also always gave the "no
>such device" message.
>>
>> I changed permissions chmod a+rw /dev/dsp*, /dev/mixer*, /dev/audio*
>
>According to the mini-FAQ, this error is also caused by multiple copies
>of libasound...

I got this error long before I downloaded the alsa drivers.
AFAIK, Slack 8.0 did not come with any alsa or libasound - checked with slocate.

>However, the last piece is that you're using a laptop. Does it have
>ACPI?

In my kernel .config I have
# config acpi is not set
config_apm = m
However, this is a new laptop and I have not played
with either as yet.

>I recently (5-Apr) posted a kernel patch to the ACPI code which fixes
>*both* ACPI and AC97 audio for the chipsets that have this problem.
>
>> I hope someone can give me a  hint on how to get this going on Slack
>> as I like that distro very much.
>
>Make sure you've removed all of your old ALSA modules and libraries.

I did a lot of pruning <g>

>Personally, I'd also recommed getting the 0.9 beta ALSA packages and
>upgrading your kernel as well (but upgrading your kernel is *not* a
>prerequisite for getting ALSA to work.)

Forgive me for not using the beta drivers as you suggested but I'm a little
uncomfortable
with beta and thought I'd give the stable drivers another chance to compile - which
they did.

>HTH
>
>Barthel
>--
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://geocities.com/ld_barthel
>
>Wakko of Borg: Heeeeeeellllllllo Collective!

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX