I wrote:
> I'm locked into using devfs because I'm running the Linux Terminal
> Server Project.  The computer with the Delta 44 has no hard drive, no
> CD-ROM drive, and no floppy drive.
>
> My understanding is that ALSA works with devfs.  Am I right?

Sorry for all my messages--I'm motivated but still rather new at this,
and it's important to me.

This email contains my devfsd.conf because I forgot to include it
earlier, in case it's useful:

# Sample /etc/devfsd.conf configuration file.
# Richard Gooch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         3-JUL-2000
#
# Enable full compatibility mode for old device names. You may comment these
# out if you don't use the old device names. Make sure you know what you're
# doing!
REGISTER        .*              MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMOLDCOMPAT

# You may comment out the above and uncomment the following if you've
# configured your system to use the original "new" devfs names or the really
# new names
#REGISTER       vc/.*           MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     vc/.*           RMOLDCOMPAT
#REGISTER       pty/.*          MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     pty/.*          RMOLDCOMPAT
#REGISTER       misc            MKOLDCOMPAT
#UNREGISTER     misc            RMOLDCOMPAT

# You may comment these out if you don't use the original "new" names
REGISTER        .*              MKNEWCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMNEWCOMPAT

# Enable module autoloading. You may comment this out if you don't use
# autoloading
###LOOKUP               .*              MODLOAD

#
# Uncomment this if you want permissions to be saved and restored
#REGISTER       .*              COPY    /dev-state/$devname $devpath
#CHANGE         .*              COPY    $devpath /dev-state/$devname
#CREATE         .*              COPY    $devpath /dev-state/$devname

# ALSA changes
LOOKUP snd MODLOAD ACTION snd
REGISTER ^sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.root 660
REGISTER ^snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.root 660