I totally agree to the writer of these Bug Report:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=486833&group_id=27464&atid=390601

"The EMU10K1 (Sound Blaster Live! (tm)) series of
cards have very fancy, patch-panel style audio routing
abilities. Any input can be routed to an effects send
or another output in almost limitless ways, although
certain options will cancel out others.

At this time, the EMU10K1 drivers (CVS branch) for
ALSA simply show all internal EMU10K1 volume controls
while not explaining them. Routing (send) options do
not seem to be fully provided through ALSA's utilities.
There seems to be some confusion about what to name
what control, and the OSS mixer emulation does not
control the inputs/outputs I have. Furthermore, the
card I have seems to initalize itself into a state
where many inputs are not output by default (the
/proc/.../emu10k1 info display suggests only the left
send is output (into the right as well?)).

A large number of bug reports over the EMU10K1-based
cards found here appear to stem from confused users.
Prior to a 1.0 release, either (1) the EMU10K1 driver
should be modified to be more user friendly or (2)
documentation needs to be written explaining how
EMU10K1 users can patch audio controls about.

Ideally, the EMU10K1 driver should provide a simple
user interface, possibly defaulting to echoing the
front speaker sends to the rear two channels. An
"advanced" mode showing all controls for power users
should be a /proc or EMU10K1 module load-time option. "

I agree to him, because there _IS_ a lot of confusion and all
the possibilities can't be used by users, because nobody knows
what PCM sending etc. is all about.

bye
- Stefan