> One hypothesis: pmidi opens the midi device in
> write-only mode, which blocks the echo (read) at a
> low level (before it shows up in /p/a/c/midiD0).
> And my cable is busted for MIDI in :(  I'm hoping
> there are better (software-only) hypotheses.

Sorry, I should have done a bit more testing.  I've
just verified this: pmidi data IS echoed, so long as
someone is listening.  The /proc/asound/card1/midiD0
statistics don't update received bytes if no one is
listening.

So it looks like I have *another* bad cable.  This
one lets me send MIDI data, but not receive :(

Moral of the story: don't waste time with cheap
cables.  I'll get one with proper electronics (I
don't know what "opto-coupling/isolation" is but it
suddenly looks very important).