Takashi Iwai wrote:

At Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:12:28 -0600,
alsa user wrote:

Using a Crystal cs4237B device with ALSA drivers from either
the stable release or the latest development release.
When opening and reading from the audio device (/dev/audio
or /dev/dsp0) the system hangs. [Opening the device for write
only is no problem -- and playing music works great.]

With latest 0.9 release things are definitely better (than with 0.5),
but reading /dev/audio or /dev/dsp0 still causes same lockup.

What works:
It is possible to record audio using "arecord" or "record" and at the
same time play some tune in a different Unix process using "aplay"
(and ALSA playing quality is outstanding!). It is also possible
to do conference calls with gnomemeeting, however once in a while
the kernel will still freeze.

What never works: kernel will always freeze within a second
of reading from /dev/dsp0 or /dev/audio (e.g. cat /dev/dsp0).
Detailed configurations attached.

it sounds like a problem on OSS emulation.
could you try to playback and capture at the same time _via OSS
emulation_ ?  it doesn't matter whether it's a single process or not.
just run e.g. "play" and "rec" (both from sox) at the same time.

using rec to record audio freezes the computer even without running
play in the background. Apparently only "arecord" and "record" are
stable way to record in this configuration. Anything else I should try?
I have turned debugging on the kernel but not sure what to look for
after a reboot in this case.