I've got a ThinkPad 390X running RedHat 8.  RedHat's sound detection
mis-identifies the card as the ESS-1969.  Sound is quiet and very slow
using the "native" driver.

I decided to scrap the RedHat drivers in favor of the ALSA drivers.
Last night I compiled/installed alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6 and have pretty
much the same behavior as with the RH8 drivers.

The CDROM plays audio, and the mixer does adjust the volume.  If I
adjust the volume using the mixer to too high a volume, I get
high-pitched feedback.

If I try to play .WAV files or launch RealPlayer, the sound is extremely
slow and not understandable.

I've read the archive, but haven't found anything that matches these
symptoms.  What information can I provide to help diagnose this?

Regards,
Tom Cooper