Greg

From: Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:04:32 +0100

At Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:53:23 -0600,
pongo wrote:

This is a resend of a message I sent earlier, before I realized I
had to subscribe to the mailing list (which I just did with
"confirm 380418).

From: "pongo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:42:47 -0600

I've been trying to get the CS4236 sound device on a Thinkpad 600
working with its existing Mandrake linux:

Linux wren.birdview 2.4.8-26mdk #4 Wed Nov 27 17:35:10 EST 2002
i686 unknown

I have the kernel source, and recently recompiled it in an effort
to try to diagnose what the problem might be, to no avail. I
originally thought there was a problem with the isapnp detection
(it is built into the kernel, not a module), but now I think the
documentation I've been following on the web site might not give
the same result for a 2.4+ kernel as it did on the 2.2 kernel
(pnpdump never detects anything, for example).

The syslog always shows Dec 1 15:44:16 wren kernel: snd: isapnp detection failed and
probing for CS4236
+ is not supported
Dec 1 15:44:16 wren kernel: snd: CS4236+ soundcard #1 not found
at 0x530 or dev
ice busy
and I'm sure the settings I'm setting in modules.conf or directly
giving on the modprobe command line are correct:
modprobe snd-card-cs4236 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538
snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=0

pass snd_isapnp=0 in addition.

also, please note that the recent version of alsa driver uses the
module options without snd_ prefix.

Takashi

Yes, a release candidate v9 should have better support than v5.