How do I change the capture rate of the extigy?
So far it is stuck at 8000Hz, and if I try different rates with arecord,
the correct number of samples are taken for the requested rate, but over a different
period, eg. if I try to record 5 seconds at 48000, it takes 30 seconds, at 8000Hz.  Am
I missing something?

alsa 0.9rc6, kernel 2.4.19

Here is the verbose output from arecord:
~$ arecord -t wav -D extigy -c2 -f S16_LE -r48000 -d5 -v ./test.wav
Recording WAVE './test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
Hardware PCM card 1 'Sound Blaster Extigy' device 0 subdevice -1

Its setup is:
stream       : CAPTURE
access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
format       : S16_LE
subformat    : STD
channels     : 2
rate         : 48000
exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits       : 16
buffer_size  : 16384
period_size  : 4096
period_time  : 85333
tick_time    : 10000
tstamp_mode  : NONE
period_step  : 1
sleep_min    : 0
avail_min    : 4096
xfer_align   : 4096
start_threshold  : 1
stop_threshold   : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary     : 1073741824

Here's my .asoundrc:

        pcm.onboard {
        type hw
        card 0
        }

        ctl.onboard {
        type hw
        card 0
        }

        pcm.extigy {
        type hw
        card 1
        }

        ctl.extigy {
        type hw
        card 1
        }

Also, I don't see any midi devices in /proc/asound, and they aren't listed by pmidi -l.

Any ideas?
Thanks Tim B