2 things here, i finally got this thing working, using rpms.

my first problem is there is no bass like there is when im in windows,
it sounds good, just no bass, the only thing i've tested this in is
xmms, so maybe thats my problem. but i've tried fooling with the
alsamixer app with no success, along with changing out put devices in
the xmms alsa plugin. nothing seems to work. nothing is plugged into
center, subwoofer, or ac3 coax/optical.

and

my second thing is whenever i restart my mixer settings get lost
settings get lost, how can i make it save this???

Game Theater XP 6.1, speakers that _do_ have bass when used with other
OSes on the same machine.(4 speakers w/subwoofer which runs thru rca
cables to 4 speaker output, the subwoofer does _not_ run thru  to the
subwoofer plugin, and its _not_ made too.) Redhat 8.0, alsa .9 rc6
installed via rpms, on the athlon arch.

thanks for your help and time.