Hello,

I have a problem with 0.9.1 and the hammerfall card (true for 0.9_rcx, too): I am only
able to play back mono files. I have seen this issue has occurred before, but without
any solution, so maybe there is some more experience outside there by now.

"aplay -D foo.wav" just works, if test.wav is mono, otherwise the card remains silent
(though seems to play).

"aplay -D hw:0,0 foo.wav" produces an error: aplay: set_params:800: Access type not
available

I guess with latter error, any configuration based on (as in slave of):

[pcm|ctl].rme9652 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

is therefore rather useless, since above is just an alias for hw:0, if I'm not
mistaken. I've seen the asound.conf on opensrc.org as well as the docu on
www.othertime.com. Though it remains a complete miracle how latter author knows, that
16/17 are spdif out. Is there anywhere are reference what channel numbers (as of cat
/proc/asound/card0/rme9652) are related to what physical I/O on the card ?

I am running kernel 2.4.20 on "ordinary" Intel architecture and compiled alsa with no
oss, isapnp or any other cards besides rme9652. But of course with sequencer ;)

I'd really appreciate any information or further reading, since this goes on for a
couple of weeks and I do not have any clue any more how to proceed.

Thanks

P.S.: my modules.conf:

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd device_uid=0